Tuesday, April 11, 2017

There is a lot on my mind right now.

I am currently sitting in my hotel room in Delaware, reviewing the past 5 days of training that I have received in Parental Alienation and Estrangement.  I have listened to lecture, discussed scenarios, role-played, and asked any question that I could think of in an effort to get the most out of this training.  The training has been 7 to 8 hours each day.  I could go into all the new information that I've learned, but there is something else on my mind right now, the people.  I met some great people this week from California, Texas, New York, New Jersey, and Delaware (obviously).  I had a great time getting to know everyone.  

One of the most memorable activities was watching the videos of Salvador Minuchin council with families and consult with the therapists under his supervision.  To hear Linda Gottlieb talk about her mentor was extremely touching.  

If you had asked me before this week, I would have told you that I didn't have anyone I wanted to meet, I didn't have a "hero" per se.  After this training, I would have to say not only Salvador Minuchin, but also Linda Gottlieb.  I did not get to pick her brain too much this week, but hearing about everything that she has done with her program and how she works with families was impressive and made me want to know more.  I have benefited so much from Linda's instruction.

If you know me personally, you know that I am a very nostalgic person.  I hate when memorable events end.  I have to admit how sad I am that this is all over.  I miss my wife and kids, I have missed them every night this past week.  I can't wait to see them tomorrow evening.  That not withstanding, I am going to look back on this with much more than a memory of training, but relationship building and a sense of comradery.  I honestly hope that I get to keep in touch with everyone and come back someday for a "refresher".  

Thank you, Linda, for staying in touch and inviting me to this training.  To everyone else reading this, I hope this encourages you to take that "extra step" and experience something new, get out of your comfort zone.  Let me know if I can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment